Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Too-Busy Syndrome

What is your hobby?

Do you have a hobby?

What ever happened to hobbies?

People used to have hobbies. Now all they do is work. I think it is a symptom of Too-busy Syndrome or TBS. The word hobby used to mean a diversion. Now work is our diversion and many have 2 jobs or more. We seem to personify the rule, "Idle hands do the devil's work." and "Keep busy to keep your mind off it."

What's so great about work?

It can be lucrative. It can also be exhausting.

I see a lot of clients with TBS. Hypnosis is such a welcome relief after a busy day. And I teach my clients self-hypnosis so they can enjoy it every day. I haven't heard much about "burnout" lately, but TBS leads to burnout and if you don't find a way to nurture yourself, you cannot possibly nurture anyone else!

I guess self-hypnosis is my hobby. One of them, anyway. I have learned that I must take care of myself, or I'm not good for anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment