Monday, July 7, 2008

New terms for Old words

Words for advanced age:

Ancient, Decrepit, Old,
withered, weathered, experienced, mature, wise, ripe, worn out, well-worn, antique, frail, distinguished, accomplished, crone, fogey, dowager, curmudgeon, …


Most are negative, especially when applied to female humans.

I am keenly aware of the disparity in gender perception of aging. I wonder why men are considered more attractive and valuable at older ages, when women tend to live longer...? That is a weird inequity. I guess it's supply and demand. There are more older women, so less valued?? This will be explored in future editions.

Aging Gracefully, what is that?

It means looking, feeling, and acting young, even at advanced ages. I read an article recently about Healthy Elders. It was about “older” people who were still active and healthy. The examples they used were some individuals in their 60s. SIXTIES! In Florida, these are not even considered “elders!” I was expecting to read about some nonagenarians or at least octogenarians, if not centenarians! I mean I saw a headline recently that said 90 is the new 40.

This is because of the new extended lifespan. People are finally living longer. Now the challenge is just to live healthier.

I’m currently reading a book about Improving Memory Skills, and it is not for just older people, but can be used at any age. I would like to point out that only in this country are we saddled with the belief that all persons of advanced age have poor memories. In other countries, older persons are venerated.

The book is called…hmmm… I forget. I will review it in the book review section. If I remember. I haven’t finished it yet!

So my Premier Presentation for the Fountain of Youth is Wednesday, at Serenity Now Books and Gifts in Palm harbor, Florida. We will take a vote to select a new, positive term for persons of advanced age and wisdom. I tend to like Living National Treasures, which is a term used in Asia.

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment