Saturday, March 3, 2012

A story about me

Who am I? that is the question. I am not an actress. I am not a singer.

I am a woman. White. Over 45. A wife, mother, sister and a daughter. Married White Female with hazel eyes and reddish brown hair.

The toastmaster's manual says that it's easy to talk about yourself. For some people it is. They love to talk about themselves.  Not I. That puts me in the minority.

That's it! I'm a Toastmasters International member! a competent communicator ... and competent leader!
Yes I can identify with that. I joined TI in 2009 a few months before I was scheduled to speak at a conference for the National Guild of Hypnotists. I am a member of the National Guild of Hypnotists, a consulting hypnotist and a certified instructor of hypnosis. I left TI just over a year ago, because I attended a corportate club and I left the corporation. I have gone go to 3 or 4 meetings since then, but just like in 2009, 3 years ago, I just received an email from NGH saying that my proposal to be a speaker was approved. My topic is How to Enhance memory with hypnosis. You will be hearing more about that in the future as I would like to practice parts of the speech here. I am definitely open to feedback. The NGH provides evaluations for every speaker at every workshop, but most of the hypnotists are not Toastmasters and their feedback is just a number from 1 to 5. I am very excited about TI feedback and looking forward to making a very dynamic speech this year.

I have done at least 10 speeches. This year I will be presenting with another hypnotist.

A few years ago I did meet a Toastmasters member at the convention. She mentioned how great TI was. I have been speaking at the convention for several years already, but I think there is always room for improvement. And the thing is, I have my eye on the prize:    The Best Presenter's Award. Every year there is an Award Dinner. It's like the Academy Awards. But they don't allow thank you speeches, so they don't have a problem like they do with the Oscars. Still, I have a speech prepared. You see I believe in using hypnotic techniques like visualization to help achieve goals. I also believe in affirmations. And I definitely believe in Toastmasters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment