Thursday, May 14, 2009

Medical Hypnotic Suggestions

I spoke to young woman yesterday. She was just 21 years old and had just lost her job. She called me about techniques to reduce stress. I recommended that she use hypnosis and learn self-hypnosis. It turns out a few months ago she went through some medical tests to find out what was the cause of her physical pain and discomfort. She was referred to a rheumatologist, presumable because it might be rheumatoid arthritis.



Well, here are the diagnoses: degenerative disc desease, Renault's syndrome and hypermobility syndrome. She was prescribed pain medication as there is no treatment for these chronic conditions, all you can do, explained her doctor is to treat the pain.



When she had a bad reaction to the third medication, the doctor explained that there was nothing else she could do for her, because the only course of action she knew was to use pain medication. She also mentioned that her condition would probably lead to fibro myalgia.



I find this reprehensible. As a hypnotist I know how much weight these words carry, especially when it comes from a "doctor." But the Hypocratic Oath says , "First do no harm."



We know that words can hurt. Ask anyone who has ever been bullied.



Also I just heard about a study where healthy people who had been misdiagnosed with cancer, developed cancer!!!!!!



I asked my client if she believed what the doctor told her. Fortunately, she was still in denial of an expectation of lifetime chronic pain which only increases and there is no hope of surcease. I recommended that she do some research on alternate methods of treatment like acupuncture, and herbs and of course, hypnosis for pain management. I also told her I had once been to a neurologist who taught bio-feedback to his headache and migraine patients. In the past, migraine was considered resistant to most pain medications, so he prescribed bio-feedback to them with spectacular results and no unpleasant side efects. Of course, I consider bio-feedback to be a form of self-hypnosis.

I would just like to take this opportunity to caution medical professionals to be careful with their words. Patients are very vulnerable.

Another study states that patients who were not told to expect hair loss and vomiting with chemotherapy did NOT experience these side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment